Mayland Community College LogoMayland Community College Logo

Transfer Credit Information

Procedure for Awarding Academic Credit

The following procedures are used to evaluate and award transfer credit, experiential learning credit, credit by exam, credit by advanced placement, and credit for professional certificates to give guidance in recording credit for course competencies for students seeking a credential.

A. Evaluating and Awarding Transfer Credit

Students may be admitted with advanced standing by transfer from accredited colleges and universities and from previous programs taken at Mayland Community College.

  1. The credit will only be considered from an official transcript from the other institution.
  2. Questions regarding accreditation are answered using
  3. Courses taken under the quarter system will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis and may be referred to the Division Den for approval of transfer and use for graduation.
  4. Only grades of “C-” or higher will be considered for transfer credit.
  5. Once the transcript is received, the registrar will then perform a course by course comparison using the credit hours and the course content to determine whether or not the courses are equivalent.  If there are questions after using the course descriptions, the registrar will consult a faculty member from the area in question.  Once it is determined that an equivalency exists, then the transfer credit is awarded and posted to the MCC transcript.
  6. The student is notified by letter of any transfer credit awarded.
  7. It should be noted that at least one-fourth of the credit required for a degree must be completed at Mayland Community College in order to graduate from Mayland.  This is verified by the Registrar when progress toward program completion is reviewed.
  8. This information is published in our Catalog.

 B. Credit for Advanced Placement (AP):

  1. College credit for advanced placement (AP) will be awarded when proper documentation is provided indicating attainment of state requirements.

C. Credit from experiential learning– Students must present a file or portfolio of information to the respective Division Dean for the purpose of justifying academic credit for past experiences. 

1. Once received,  the Division Dean will either:

a. Forward the file or portfolio to the Vice President of Instruction and Student Development and recommend the number of academic credits to be awarded or;

b. Require the student to provide additional information on which to base a decision.

2. A final determination on the credit to be awarded to the student will be made by the VP of Instruction and Student Development upon receipt of the recommendation from the Division Dean.

3. All documentation leading to the awarding of credit for experiential learning will be filed with the registrar.

4. Under no circumstance will more than 25% of the required hours for a degree, diploma, or certificate be awarded for experiential learning.

5. This information is published in the Catalog.

D. Credit by Exam (Proficiency Credit)

Only one exam will be administered per course per student.  Proficiency exams are not available for all courses.  To obtain permission to take a proficiency exam, a student must do the following:

  1. Register for the course and pay the appropriate tuition and fees.
  2. Request and complete a Request for Proficiency Exam form from the instructor within one week following schedule adjustment period.
  3. Attend class regularly and participate fully until the request is approved.
  4. The instructor will administer the exam no later than two weeks after receiving the student’s completed request.
  5. The grade earned on the exam can be used as the final grade for the class.  If this grade is accepted by the student, the student must sign the Request for Proficiency Form agreeing to the earned grade.
  6. The instructor will then attach the exam and submit it to the Registrar’s office.  The grade will be posted to this student’s transcript.  Once the grade is accepted, the student has completed the requirements for the class and will no longer be required to attend.  If the grade is not accepted by the student, he/she will remain in the class to receive credit.  If the student does not wish to remain in the class he/she must officially withdraw.
  7. Remedial courses (courses below 100 level) and ACA-111 are exempt from this procedure.  Students must see the academic advisor to exempt ACA-111.
  8. This information is published in the Catalog.

E. Credit for Professional Certificates

  1. Successful completion of BLET (CJC 100) may substitute for CJC 120, CJC 131, CJC 132, CJC 221, CJC 225, and CJC 231.
  2. All other professional certificates will be evaluated by the division dean/program coordinator to determine awarding of credit.