Tobacco use is prohibited on all College properties, including, but not limited to, academic and auxiliary buildings, sidewalks, green spaces, parking lots, roadways, and all vehicles.
Tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes, bidis, hookahs, electronic cigarettes, smokeless or spit tobacco, snuff, or any other items containing or reasonably resembling a tobacco product that can be fashioned in a smoking manner.
Violation of the Policy 3.004, Tobacco Free Campus will result in the following sanctions for students:
The MCC Security Force will issue citations to individuals who are in violation of the MCC Tobacco Policy. Those citations will be forwarded to the Dean of Students who will maintain a database of offenders.
- Upon issuance of the second citation, the offender will have a block placed on his/her registration, LRC and transcript privileges, until he/she meets with the Dean of Students to discuss and ensure compliance.
- Upon a third citation, the student will be blocked as above (#2) until 10 hours of college service are recorded through the Office of the Vice President of Administration.
- Upon a fourth citation, the student will be suspended from Mayland Community College for five class days (one week).
- Upon the fifth citation, the student will be expelled from Mayland Community College for the remainder of the present semester. The student will be administratively withdrawn according to the Withdrawal Procedure 1.097.
Violation of the Policy 3.004, Tobacco Free Campus will result in the following sanctions for employees:
- An employee is anyone defined as full-time, part-time, adjunct or in any wage earning status representing Mayland Community College.
- Employee violations are to be reported to Security Services or to the Director of Personnel Services. An email will be generated reporting the violation to the employee’s immediate supervisor. A meeting with the employee and supervisor will follow. The supervisor will use the following procedure to document the violation using the Performance Correction Notice document.
- First violation – The Performance Correction Notice will be used to document the verbal notice of violation of the Tobacco-free Campus Policy.
- Second violation - A written notice of the violation of the Tobacco-free Campus Policy will be made using the Performance Correction Notice.
- Third violation - A documented third violation of the Tobacco-free Campus Policy will be considered insubordination and may result in unpaid suspension or termination of employment as determined by the President.