Students preparing to look for work can get help with the entire process of the job search from writing resumes and practicing interviewing to learning how to network and identify job openings. The office is located at room 113 Gwaltney Hall. Students can walk in or contact for an appointment:
Doug Dewar, Director/Counselor
Counseling and Disability Services
Mayland Community College
PO Box 547
Spruce Pine, NC 28777
- Job Search Skills Assistance
- “Big Interview” Program
- Part Time Job Openings
- Employer Services for Posting Jobs
- Employability Web Sites
Job Search Skill Assistance:
A counselor is available to help students with job search skills such as:
- Resume assistance
- Interviewing skills training
- Practice interviews
- Using our online interview training program called “Big Interview” (see below)
- Job search and application help
- Employment soft skills training
- Career exploration
- Identifying job openings
We are pleased to offer you a free training system that features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview. Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence.
You have at your disposal a variety of tools including:
- Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
- A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
- The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
- A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
- A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
Click on the Big Interview link above to get started. Just use your Mayland email to log in. If you are a Mayland student who does not have a Mayland email account, contact Doug Dewar at email@example.com to receive access credentials.
Job Openings for Students
Occasionally employers post part-time job openings for students, as well as some full-time jobs. These openings are posted on the MCC Job Openings Bulletin Board outside the Student Commons in the Gwaltney Building. Job openings from NCWorks are also posted on the board weekly for the six surrounding counties. These employment opportunities can be found online as well at www.ncworks.gov.
Students can get individualized job placement help conveniently by visiting our NCWorks Career Center. Located on our main campus. They can help you upload a resume to NCWorks, refer you to jobs, and even set up an automated job search via e-mail or text.
Employer Job Posting Services
Employers wishing to post jobs for students should contact Doug Dewar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send an email with details of the job and how to apply. Employers can also contact our on-campus NCWorks Career Center(https://www.mayland.edu/continuing-education/ncworks-career-centers/) to reach applicants in the community as well.
Employability Web Sites:
Resume Writing and Interviewing Web Sites
- Big Interview (www.biginterview.com)
- Career Coach (https://mayland.emsicc.com/)
- Career Onestop (https://www.careeronestop.org/JobSearch/Resumes/resumes-and-applications.aspx)
Online Job Banks