This state-required course is designed for those wishing to become a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). This class consists of classroom work, lab, and clinical rotations. At the end of the course, a separate state-approved agency administers the competency testing for a fee of $120. Six days of clinical rotation will be scheduled starting as early as 6:30 am. Some weekend classes and lab participation may also be required by clinical sites and random drug screening may be conducted.
- Dressing, bathing, and skincare
- Feeding, mouth and hair care
- Making beds
- Toileting assistance, catheter, bowel, and bladder care
- Taking vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, respiration, temperature)
- Helping patients walk
- Assisting with range-of-motion exercises
- Helping wheelchair-bound patients using safe patient handling devices
- Turning and positioning bedridden patients regularly
- Safety awareness (observing, reporting, and documentation)
- Performing post-mortem care
- Two forms of identification (driver’s license and social security card) at registration
- Documentation of complete immunization records including proof of MMR 1 and 2 or individual titers, current TB test (must be active upon completion of course), varicella infection by medical record, varicella titer, or varicella immunization if titer is negative, proof of Hepatitis B vaccine (completed dose 1,2 and 3) or signed MCC waiver, tetanus shots for clinical sites.
Cost of Class:
- Tuition/Registration: $180
- Text: $29 (subject to change)
- Liability Insurance: $13
- Optional accident insurance: $1.20
- Cost of CPR card
- Certification exam: $120
- Drug screening for clinical site
- Background check for clinical site
Students in this program may get help paying for class by calling 828.766.1297.
For more information about this class call the Avery Learning Center at 828.733.5883 or the Yancey Learning Center at 828.682.7315.