Career and College Promise FAQs for Parents and Students

General Questions:

What is required on the high school transcript to verify student eligibility for a Career and College Promise College Transfer Pathway (CTP) and/or Career and Technical Education pathway (CTE/WCEP)?

 High school transcripts must include the following:    

  • student grade level (9th, 10th, 11th and/or 12th grade) and  
  • high school courses completed and in progress and  
  • unweighted high school GPA

*The total number of credits on the high school transcript does not replace the requirement of the student’s grade level to be listed on the high school transcript. 

What constitutes a “junior” or “senior” standing for CCP?  

Junior or senior standing is determined by the local school administrative unit and is reflected in the high school transcript.  

Mountain creek rushing downhill in AppalachiaWhat documentation is needed to maintain eligibility for CCP courses? 

An updated high school transcript is required each term the student is enrolled. Students must also maintain an MCC GPA of at least a 2.0 after completion of 2 or more college courses

What is the maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take?  

There is no maximum number of college credits that a CCP student can take. However, students must complete the entire CCP pathway before pursuing additional courses. All CCP participants must maintain eligibility status.  Parents and students should be aware that only 61 hours of college credit will be transferable per the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA).  Students in the transfer pathway should make course selections based on what is required in the Bachelor Degree Plan published by the university. Courses should be taken based upon the intended major and university they plan to attend.  

Will CCP students receive honors or AP credit for completing college courses?  

All community college courses included in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) will receive weighted credit in accordance with NCDPI policy GCS-L-004. 

Are there any community college courses that DPI will allow to count towards high school core course graduation requirements?  

Yes, principals are permitted to award dual credit based upon course content relative to available high school courses and State Board of Education policy GCS-M-001, which allows students in a College Transfer pathway to receive high school credit toward graduation requirements using Mayland Community College courses. Additionally, some CTE college courses may count towards high school CTE core requirements. Dual credit is a bonus, but should not be the primary reason for a student to select a course(s). Contact the high school counselor or principal for more information. 

Can high school students take community college courses in the summer and have tuition waived?  

All curriculum courses taken by Career and College Promise students at Mayland Community College in accordance with G.S. 115D-20(4) are tuition-waived except courses offered on a self-supporting basis. (This applies to Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.) 

If a high school student completes all high school requirements in December (eligible to graduate) can he/she continue with the courses, tuition exempt, even if he/she has no high school classes?  

No, high school graduates cannot participate in CCP. However, if the high school semester ends after the community college semester has started, the student would still be eligible for CCP. (Example: MCC’s semester begins on January 6th and the high school semester ends January 18th – the student would still be eligible for CCP because they were still a high school student when MCC’s semester started). 

Are local colleges permitted to let high school students take a course outside the pathway concurrently with their pathway-completing course?  

No, students must complete their pathway before taking additional courses. Students may be enrolled in no more than two pathways with permission concurrently.  

Are there any minimum class attendance requirements for CCP students?  

CCP students enrolled in Mayland Community College courses will be held to the same attendance and academic requirements as traditional college students. 

Are home school and private school students eligible to participate in Career & College Promise?  

Yes, students attending a registered home school or a private school may participate in CCP. Generally, private school students are required to establish eligibility using the same criteria applied to public school students (GPA, assessment scores). Home school students and students from private schools not using traditional grading scales shall follow Mayland Community College’s established procedures for assessing eligibility and determining placement.

Can a college set a minimum and maximum age limit for home-schooled students? How do we know if they are juniors or seniors?  

No, the home school student’s principal (usually the parent) must certify that the student is a junior or senior and is making progress toward graduation. 


Who pays the cost of the student’s textbooks?

Textbooks are a student’s responsibility, however, there may be local provisions for them. A student’s high school, the school district, or another local organization may cover these costs. Students should check with their high school liaison concerning the costs of textbooks. 

Are student fees (e.g., technology, insurance, and graduation fees) waived in addition to the waived tuition for CCP students?  

No, however, local school districts and community colleges should work together to determine whether and how student fees will be paid for CCP participants. 

Are any funds available to assist the high schools with transporting students to the college’s campus?  

Cooperative Innovative High Schools (MECHS) receive transportation funds as part of a larger funding allotment at each district. No, additional transportation funding is not available for other CCP students.