SECU Foundation “People Helping People” Scholarship
2020-2021 Academic Year
Due Date: Friday, June 19, 2020
The State Employee’s Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has established a two- year scholarship program to assist North Carolina community college students in achieving academic success. The members of SECU take an active role in assisting organizations and communities across North Carolina and truly believe in “People Helping People!”
The SECU Scholarship is a $5,000 award distributed semi-annually in two payments: $1,250 per student for Fall Semester and $1,250 per student for Spring Semester for a maximum of four consecutive Fall/Spring semesters. Membership in the SECU is NOT required.
The Scholarship Committee of Mayland Community College will nominate two individuals for this award that are most deserving of an opportunity to further their educations. The committee will consider students who best exemplify the membership philosophy of the SECU, “People Helping People,” and have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. The recipient will be selected without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religious preference, age, national origin or disability.
Qualified Candidates Must:
- Be enrolled fulltime each semester in an associate degree, diploma or certificate program.
- Be a U.S. citizen and resident of North Carolina – eligible for in-state tuition.
- Best exemplify the membership philosophy of the Credit Union – “People Helping People” – and have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Demonstrate ongoing scholastic achievement by having and maintaining a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Use scholarship to pay tuition, books, fees, course supplies and transportation.
- Continue at Mayland for the duration of the scholarship (four consecutive fall/spring semesters) or until completion of diploma or certificate program. Scholarships are not transferable to another student or another school.
- Not be a Director, employee, or family member of an employee of the State Employee’s Credit Union or SECU Foundation.
A Complete Application Includes:
- A one to two-page essay explaining why you feel you best exemplify the membership philosophy of the Credit Union – “People Helping People.” Explain how you have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. Your paper must be typed and double-spaced, using Times New Roman Number 12 font.
- Two letters of recommendation from leaders of organizations for which you have volunteered or from members of the community who can attest to your character, integrity, and community involvement.
- A copy of your most recent transcript (unofficial transcript will suffice).
Please submit all of these documents to Jessica Forbes via your MCC Student Email account at email@example.com. A complete application must be RECEIVED by the above listed due date, not postmarked. Questions or concerns, please contact Jessica Forbes at 828-537-0008 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.