The State Employee’s Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has established a two- year scholarship program to assist North Carolina community college students in achieving academic success. The members of SECU take an active role in assisting organizations and communities across North Carolina and truly believe in “People Helping People!”
The SECU Scholarship is a $5,000 award distributed semi-annually in two payments: $1,250 per student for Fall Semester and $1,250 per student for Spring Semester for a maximum of four consecutive Fall/Spring semesters. Membership in the SECU is NOT required.
The Scholarship Committee of Mayland Community College will nominate two individuals for this award that are most deserving of an opportunity to further their educations. The committee will consider students who best exemplify the membership philosophy of the SECU, “People Helping People,” and have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. The recipient will be selected without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religious preference, age, national origin or disability.
Qualified candidates must:
- Be enrolled fulltime each semester in an associate degree, diploma or certificate program.
- Be a U.S. citizen and resident of North Carolina – eligible for in-state tuition.
- Best exemplifies the membership philosophy of the Credit Union - "People Helping People" - and has demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Demonstrate ongoing scholastic achievement by having and maintaining a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Use scholarship to pay tuition, books, fees, course supplies and transportation.
- Continue at Mayland for the duration of the scholarship (four consecutive fall/spring semesters) or until completion of diploma or certificate program. Scholarships are not transferable to another student or another school.
- Not be a Director, employee, or family member of an employee of the State Employee’s Credit Union or SECU Foundation.
To apply, please submit a one to two-page essay to the Scholarship Coordinator explaining why you feel you best exemplify the membership philosophy of the Credit Union – “People Helping People.” Explain how you have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. Your paper must be typed and double-spaced, using Times New Roman 12 font.
Your essay must be accompanied by:
- Two letters of recommendation from leaders of organizations for which you have volunteered or from members of the community who can attest to your character, integrity, and community involvement.
- A copy of your most recent transcript.
Submit your essay along with all required documentation by the June 1st deadline to Jessica Forbes in Room 124 of the Financial Aid Department by 4:00 pm.
For more information, contact Jessica Forbes at 828-766-1241 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The North Carolina Summer Golden Leaf Scholarship is now available! Please click on the link or come by Financial Aid hallway! Applicants must be a student that is enrolled for the summer semester and have at least 6 credit hours. Scholarship applications are due to Jessica Forbes in Financial Aid by 6:00 pm on Thursday, May 31, 2018.
Deadline: EXTENDED 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 10, 2018
Application and all required documentation must be submitted to Sonja Peterson in Room 143 of Gwaltney Hall by no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10, 2018.
- Student must be accepted into an accredited program in the medical field (pre-nursing or pre-medical assisting students are not eligible)
- Completed application
- Official transcript (most recent)
- Official acceptance letter showing acceptance into your medical field degree program
- Two letter of personal reference from the following list:
- Teach or school counselor
- Current or past employer
- Volunteer supervisor - in the event you have not been employed
Once your scholarship information is completed and compiled, please return to Sonja Peterson by the above-listed deadline. The applications will then be forwarded to the scholarship committee for selection.
For questions concerning this Scholarship, please contact Sonja Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org