Mayland Community College LogoMayland Community College Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I have to be full-time to receive financial aid?
    • No. All of the Pell Grant awards are based on full time status (12 credit hours or more). However, if you register for less than 12 credit hours, your Pell Grant award will be prorated based on the number of credit hours you are actually enrolled in. You may also be eligible for Work-Study (FWS) and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) if attending less than full time. You must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours or more to be eligible for Work Study, the North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) or the North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS).
  2. Do my grades affect my eligibility?
    • Yes. Federal and state regulations require that students receiving financial aid maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Mayland Community College applies these standards to all federal and state financial aid funds in order to maintain a consistent procedure for all students receiving assistance.
  3. Must I reapply for financial aid every year?
    • Yes. Because financial aid is based on financial need, you must complete a new FAFSA application each academic year. Each fall semester begins a new award period, so the FAFSA should be completed each spring for the upcoming fall semester.
  4. When will I get my financial aid?
    • Once you submit the FAFSA and all required documentation, your financial aid will be processed and you will receive an award letter stating the maximum amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive based on full time enrollment (12 or more credit hours). All financial aid funds are deposited into your student account at the college from which tuition and fees are deducted.  You may then use your student ID number to charge books and supplies at the bookstore up to the amount of funds that remain in your account.  After all charges have been deducted from your account, a refund will be issued to you according to your BankMobile Disbursements refund preference. Students enrolled in any classes with a late start date will not be paid financial aid for those classes until after class has started and attendance has been verified.
  5. Do I have to report my parent’s income?
    • According to federal guidelines, you are considered a dependent student and required to provide parental information on the FAFSA unless one or more of the following applies:
      • You are 24 years or older.
      • You are married.
      • You have legal dependents (other than spouse) for which you provide more than half of the support.
      • You are considered to be a ward of the court, orphan, emancipated minor, or in legal guardianship.
      • You are a Veteran who served on active duty.
  6. What is verification?
    • Verification is a process used by the U.S. Department of Education and Mayland Community College to verify that the information you recorded on the FAFSA is accurate.  To avoid costly delays in processing your financial aid, please respond promptly to any communication from the Financial Aid Office.Financial Aid will only be awarded after all documentation required for verification has been submitted and the process has been completed.  Students who do not submit all required documentation by the published Priority Deadline dates of the semester for which they are enrolling will be required to pay out of pocket and will be verified and awarded (if eligible) after the start of the semester.  NOTE:  Any corrections made to your FAFSA during the verification process could potentially increase or reduce your Expected Family Contribution and consequently, your financial aid eligibility.  You will be notified of your actual financial aid eligibility in the award letter you receive once processing is complete.
  7. Will financial aid pay for all of my classes?
    • It depends.  Financial aid will pay for all classes required for your major.  Financial aid will not pay for classes that are not in your recorded major, nor will it pay for a class for which you have already met the requirements.  Financial aid will also not pay more than twice for you to repeat a previously passed class for a better grade.  Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions regarding financial aid coverage for any of your classes.
  8. What happens to my financial aid if I drop or fail a class?
    • To continue receiving financial aid, students are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.  Dropping or failing a class or classes will negatively affect your grade point average and completion rate which, in turn, affects your financial aid eligibility.  Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.
  9. What happens if I withdraw from all my classes?
    • If you withdraw from all your classes either officially or unofficially before the 60% point of the semester, you will be required to repay all or part of the financial aid you were awarded.  Click here to learn more about the Student/Refund Withdrawal Policy.