This program provides participants with the basic information and skills needed to take the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx) offered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB). Graduates who pass this exam may apply for licensure to practice in North Carolina. Students will be prepared to work in direct care settings to provide manipulations, methodical pressure, friction, and kneading of the body’s soft tissues to support wellness throughout the lifespan. Graduates who become licensed should qualify for employment opportunities in hospitals and other medical settings, rehabilitation centers, sport or health clubs, retirement communities, day spas, resorts, and private practice.
- Anatomy and physiology related to the practice of massage therapy
- Professional ethics
- Business management
- Fundamental theory and practice of massage and bodywork therapy including hands-on practice
- Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, trigger point therapy, and other special topics such as shiatsu
- Standard practices for hygiene
- Psychological concepts including client/therapist relationship/professional communication skills
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Provide proof of high school completion (high school transcripts, copy of high school diploma, or copy of the completion of GED requirements)
- Provide documentation of complete immunization records, including proof of MMR 1 and 2 or individual titers, current TB test, varicella infection by the medical record, varicella titer, or varicella immunization if the titer is negative, proof of hepatitis B vaccine (complete dose 1, 2, and 3) or sign MCC waiver prior to the clinical start date
- Demonstrate reading proficiency either by college transcripts, a computerized placement test, or the TABE reading test
- Provide two forms of identification (driver’s license, social security card) at registration
Cost of Class:
- Tuition/Registration $180
- Liability insurance $13
- Cost of CPR card
- Optional accident insurance $1.20
- Text approximately $300
- Supplies approximately $150
- Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam $195
- Cost of obtaining NC license $190 plus a $20 application fee
For more information about this class call the Yancey Learning Center at 828.682.7315.
Click this link for information about GEER 2020-2021 Funding Scholarships.