Mental Health Technicians play a significant role in the mental health care system by providing direct assistance to patients. Get an overview of mental health diagnoses. Learn the best practices for working with patients. Develop appropriate intervention techniques. Discover how to help patients with daily tasks. Organize activities and therapy sessions. Become a part of the team of professionals who assist in the care of mentally ill individuals in specialized care facilities or hospitals. At the end of the course, students will be eligible to sit for the certification exam through the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians. This course is recommended for anyone interested in working in direct care with mentally ill patients or others who need training on how to handle situations with those undergoing a mental health crisis.
• Outline of the history of mental health
• Identify normal growth and development
• Understand the importance of trust and
communication in health care
• Outline proper safety in the workplace
• Understand chemical dependency and its
• Understand common psychiatric
• Perform proper documentation for
• Understand and respect patients’ rights
• Perform general patient care
• Provide proof of high school completion
(high school transcripts, copy of high
school diploma, or copy of the completion of
Cost of Class:
• Tuition/Registration: $180
• Text: $150 (subject to change)
• Certification exam: $109
For more information about this class call the Avery Learning Center at 828.733.5883.
Click this link for information about GEER 2020-2021 Funding Scholarships.