The Advanced EMT-to-Paramedic Hybrid Course provides training in all phases of prehospital advanced life support. Instruction includes patient assessment methods, critical thinking, electrocardiogram interpretation, cardioversion, pacing, vascular access, administration of emergency medications, and skills associated with the assessment and treatment of cardiac, trauma, and pediatric patients. This class will prepare the student to perform in the pre-hospital environment as an entry-level paramedic.
Mayland Community College (MCC) delivers the Advanced EMT to Paramedic Hybrid course in partnership with College of the Albemarle (COA). The course is a 52-week program divided up into (3) sections.
- Part A = Online courses (completed through COA).
- Part B = Lab sessions, which include hands-on skills training and Hospital Clinical (hybrid completed at MCC).
- Part C = Lab sessions, which include hands-on-skills training and EMS Field Mentoring Clinical Education (hybrid completed at MCC).
Students must successfully complete Part A, B, and C to be eligible for the credentialing exam with NCOEMS and /or National Registry.
- Pre-requisite of a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate
- Certification as a North Carolina AEMT (Students that have successfully completed the AEMT course within the last 30 days are waived of this requirement; however, must possess AEMT certification prior to starting Part B of the course) (8/17/2020)
- Current credential in American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
- Current reading and math assessment test (CASAS) and score reading comprehension and math skills at the post-secondary level. Students producing an official college transcript illustrating successful completion of a college-level English and/or Math course are exempt from the reading and/or math assessment.
- Verification of successful completion of an eligible Anatomy & Physiology course prior to Technical Scope of Practice (TSOP) evaluations. (Courses may include BIO-163, or BIO-165 & 166, or BIO-168 & 169
- Pre-Registration is required.
Cost of Course
- Registration $374.20 (may be waived with appropriate documentation if affiliated with the paramedic-level agency)
- Resources (Books/Uniforms/FISDAP account, etc.): $702.42 (subject to change)
- Background check $75 (Subject to change)
Financial aid, grants, and scholarships may be available. For more information, please contact:
- Ted Ollis, Director, Customized Training & HRD, Economic & Workforce Development. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (828) 766-1297
- Sonya Peterson, Director of Financial Aid. Email address: email@example.com or phone: (828) 766-1240
For more information about the advanced EMT to Paramedic Program, please contact:
- Josh Cooke, EMS Program Director
Office: (828) 766-1230