Emergency Medical Technician EMT
This course is designed to train individuals to become emergency medical personnel. This course teaches patient assessment and basic life support techniques. EMT’s can work for some ambulance services and is required for most paid firefighters. Successful completion of this course allows the student to take the North Carolina EMT Exam. This is the first step in becoming a Paramedic.
*Course Orientation Class: July 20, 2021, 6:00 pm at the Yancey Learning Center or August 10, 2021, 6:00 pm a Fall Creek Fire Department.
• Legal aspects of patient care
• Basic anatomy
• Airway management and CPR
• Hemorrhage control
• Oxygen administration
• Bandaging and splinting
• Skull, spine, and chest injuries
• Child birthing
• Exposure to cold and heat
• Driving & Truck Maintenance
- Must be at least 17 years of age on or before the official end date of the course
- Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalency
- Reading assessment test (CASAS) and score reading comprehension at the 11th-grade level. Students producing an official college transcript illustration successful completion of a college-level English or DRE-98 are exempt from the reading assessment
- Recommendation by the medical advisor and the lead instructor for participation in field/clinical internships and for successful completion of the course
- Current credential in AHA Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers must be obtained by the end of class
- Attend course orientation class prior to the start of class (TBA)
- Background checks may be required by the clinical sites
- Immunization records
Cost of Class:
- Tuition/Registration: $180-this amount may be waived with appropriate documentation
- Textbook and workbook: $165 (subject to change)
- Liability Insurance (required): $13
- Cost of CPR card
- Accident insurance for the individual student: $1.20
• Drug screening for clinical site
• Background check for clinical site
• Certification exam: $68
For more information about this program, call Josh Cooke at 828.766.1230 or Tony Cook at 828.766.1279.
Click this link for information about GEER 2020-2021 Funding Scholarships.