The College is committed to providing each of its students a drug and alcohol free environment in which to attend classes and study. From a safety perspective, the users of drugs or alcohol may impair the well-being of students, interfere with the College’s educational environment and result in damage to College property.
All students shall adhere to the following:
2. Student use of drugs as prescribed by a licensed physician is not a violation of Policy; however, individuals shall be held strictly accountable for their behavior while under the influence of prescribed drugs.
3. Students may be required to be tested for substances, including controlled substances or alcohol, based on individualized, reasonable suspicion. The required observations for reasonable suspicion testing shall be made by an administrator, supervisor or other trained official and the person who makes the determination that reasonable suspicion exists shall not be the same person who conducts the test. This section does not apply to law enforcement officers serving the College through the local sheriff’s department. Law enforcement officers must adhere to their normal standards when conducting a search.
4. The College does not differentiate between drug users, drug pushers or sellers. Any student in violation of Section A herein will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination or expulsion and referral for prosecution.
5. A student who violates the terms of this Policy will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with – Student Code of Conduct. At his/her discretion, the appropriate Dean/AVP may require any student who violates the terms of this Policy to satisfactorily participate in a drug abuse rehabilitation program or an alcoholic rehabilitation program sponsored by an approved private or governmental institution as a precondition of continued enrollment at the College.
6. Each student is required to inform the College, in writing, within five (5) business days after he/she is convicted for violation of any federal, state, or local criminal drug statute or alcoholic beverage control statute where such violation occurred while on or at a College location. Failure to do so could result in disciplinary action.
7. In addition to this Policy, students employed by the College, including students employed under the College’s Work Study Program, shall adhere to the requirements in – Human Resources - Alcohol and Drugs on Campus.