Weapons on Campus
Students, staff, faculty and visitors are legally prohibited from carrying a weapon onto campus unless a legal exception applies. For purposes of this policy, a “weapon” includes firearms, explosives, BB guns, stun guns, air rifles or pistols, and certain types of knives or other sharp instruments (see N.C.G.S. § 14-269.2).
The prohibition does not apply if the weapon is on campus pursuant to one of the reasons listed in N.C.G.S. § 14-269.2(g). It is the individual’s responsibility to know and understand the law prior to bringing any weapon onto campus. Failure to follow the law, regardless of the person’s intent, will result in appropriate disciplinary action and a referral to local law enforcement.
It is permissible for an individual to bring a weapon onto campus under the following limited circumstances:
- The firearm is a handgun; AND
- The individual has a valid concealed handgun permit (or is exempt from the law requiring a permit); AND
- The handgun remains in either: a closed compartment or container within the locked vehicle of the permit holder; or a locked container securely affixed to the locked vehicle of the permit holder; AND
- The vehicle is unlocked only when the permit holder is entering or exiting the vehicle; AND
- The handgun remains in the closed compartment or container at all times except for a reasonable amount of time for the person to transfer the handgun from the closed compartment or container to his person or from his person to the closed compartment or container.
The prohibition does not apply to weapons used as part of a sanctioned school activity or ceremony.
Firearms (and other weapons prohibited on campus) may not be stored or transported in College-owned or rented vehicles.