State Authorization for Distance Education

State Authorization for Distance Education

Mayland Community College is working in good-faith to achieve compliance as established in HEOA 600.9 (c):

Due to recent changes in higher education regulations, Mayland Community College may not be currently authorized to offer online programs or courses for students residing in some states. Prospective Distance Education students who live out-side of North Carolina are encouraged to contact Jon Wilmesherr, Director of  Academic Support Services and Learning Resources Center (, before enrolling to determine if Mayland Community College is authorized to deliver distance education courses in their state.

Student Complaints and Grievances Resolution

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, each institution of higher education is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against post secondary education institutions offering distance learning within that state. Mayland Community College students should attempt to resolve all issues and complaints within the guidelines of the college's Student Grievance Policy. Below is a list of contacts from each state so that a student may file a complaint with that state, however, we ask that you please try to resolve all complaints with the college prior to going to any outside agency:



Contact information


Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 302000
Montgomery, AL 36130-2000
Telephone: 334-242-1998
Fax: 334-242-0268

Complaint Process


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811‐0505

Complaint Process


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education

1400 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Complaint Form


Arkansas Department of Higher Education

425 Main St., Suite 400
Little Rock, AR 72201
(501) 371-2000

Complaint Form


Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 980818
W. Sacramento, CA 95798‐0818

Complaint Form


Colorado Department of Higher Education

1560 Broadway, Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

Complaint Process


Office of Higher Education

61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105‐2326
Telephone: 860-947-1822

Complaint Process


Delaware Department of Education

Delaware Department of Education
Accountability and Performance
The Townsend Building
401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, Delaware 19901
(302) 735-4090

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission

810 First Street, NE 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20002

Complaint Process


Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
Fax: 850-245-3238

Complaint Process


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 East Exchange Place, Suite 220 
Tucker, GA 30084-5305 
Telephone:  770-414-3300
Fax:  770-414-3309

Complaint Rules


Hawaii Post-secondary Education Authorization Program

P.O. Box 541
Honolulu, HI 96809

Complaint Form


Idaho Board of Education

650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720‐0037
Telephone: 208-334-2270
Fax: 208-334-2632

Complaint Process


Illinois Board of Higher Education

1 N Old State Capitol Plaza, Suite 333
Springfield, IL 62701-1377
Institutional Complaint Hotline:

Complaint Process


Indiana Board for Proprietary Education

Board for Proprietary Education
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street Suite 300
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204-4206
(317) 464-4400

Student Complaints:

Complaint Process


Iowa College Student Aid Commission

430 East Grand Ave.
5th Floor
Des Moines, IA 50309-1920
Telephone: 515-725-3400

Complaint Process


Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520
Topeka, KS 66612‐1368
Telephone:  785-296-3421

Complaint Process


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capitol Center Dr.
Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601

Complaint Process


Louisiana Board of Regents

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General

Consumer Protection Division
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 94005
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9005
Telephone: 1-800-351-4889

Complaint Process


State of Maine
Department of Education

23 State House Station
Augusta, Maine, 04333-0023

Complaint Form


Maryland Higher Education Commission

Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202

Complaint Process


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education

One Ashburton Place
Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108

Complaint Process


State of Michigan

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau
Administrative Services Section-Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 30018
Lansing, MI 48909

Complaint Form


Registration & Licensing
Minnesota Office of Higher Education

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: 1-800-657-3866

Complaint Process


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road
Jackson, MS 39211-6453
Telephone: 601-432-6372
Fax: 601-432-6225

Complaint Process


Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102‐1469
Telephone: 1-800-473-6757
Fax: 573-751-6635

Complaint Info


Montana University System
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education

2500 Broadway
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
Telephone: 406-444-6570

Complaint Process


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 95005
Lincoln, NE 68509-5005
Telephone: 402-471-2847

Filing a Complaint


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 South Maryland Parkway, Suite 115
Las Vegas, NV 89123

Filing a Complaint

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education

101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Telephone: 603-271-3494

Filing a Complaint

New Jersey

New Jersey Secretary of Higher Education

20 West State Street, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 542
Trenton, NJ 08625-0542
Telephone: 609-292-7225

Complaint Process

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

2044 Galisteo St., Suite 4
Santa Fe, NM  87505
Telephone: 505-476-8400

Complaint Form

New York

Office of College and University Evaluation
New York State Education Department

89 Washington Ave., Room 969 EBA
Albany,  NY 12234
Telephone: 518-474-1551
Fax: 518-486-2779

Filing a Complaint

North Carolina

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina Systems Office
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27515-2688

Phone: 919-962-4550

Filing a Complaint

North Dakota

Director of Distance Education & State Authorization

600 East Capital Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58501-1217
Telephone: 701‐328‐2678

Filing a Complaint


Ohio Department of Higher Education

25 South Front Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: 614-466-6000

Filing a Complaint


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Telephone: 405-225-9100

Complaint Process


Higher Education Coordinating Commission


ATTN: Complaints-ODA
775 Court St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Telephone: 503-947-5716

Complaint Form


Bureau of Postsecondary & Adult Education
Pennsylvania Department of Education

333 Market Street, 12th Floor 
Harrisburg, PA 17126‐0333

Complaint Form

Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico Council on Higher Education

P.O. Box 19900
San Juan, PR 00910-1900
Telephone: 787-641-7100
Fax: 787-641-2573

Rhode Island

Commissioner of Higher Education
Rhode Island Office of Higher Education

Shepard Building, Suite 524
80 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: 401-456-6008

Complaint Process

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
Academic Affairs & Licensing

1122 Lady St., Suite 300
Columbia, SC 29201
Telephone: 803-737-2260
Fax: 803-737-2297

Complaint Form

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents

306 E. Capitol Ave., Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501

Complaint Form


Tennessee Higher Education Commission

Division of Postsecondary State Authorization
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, TN 37243
Telephone: 615-741-3605

Complaint Process


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

College Readiness & Success Division
P.O. Box 12788
Austin, TX 78711-2788
Telephone: 512-427-6101

Complaint Process


Utah Division of Consumer Protection

Utah Division of Consumer Protection
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
(801) 530-6601

Complaint Process


Vermont Department of Education

120 State Street 
Montpelier, VT 05620‐2501
Telephone: 802-828-3135

Complaint Process


Virginia State Council of Higher Education

101 N. 14th St., 10th Floor
James Monroe Bldg.
Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone: 804-225-2600

Complaint Process


Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board

Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board
128 10th Avenue SW
P.O. Box 43105
Olympia, Washington 98504-3105
(360) 709-4600


West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
Community & Technical College System of West Virginia


1018 Kanawha Blvd. East, Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
Telephone: 304-558-4016

Complaint Process


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board

Department of Safety and Professional Services
1400 East Washington Avenue
Room 112
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
(608) 266-2122



Student Complaints:


Wyoming Department of Education

Hathaway  Building, 2nd Floor
2300 Capitol Avenue
Cheyenne,  WY 82002‐0050

Complaint Form


Mayland Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. They may be contacted at:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033
Telephone (404)679-4500 • Fax: (404)679-4558