It is the policy of Mayland Community College not to discriminate against any employee, applicant or student because of age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap/disability, exercise of rights guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, or sexual orientation to the extent such rights are recognized and/or protected under applicable federal or state laws, and to take affirmative action to insure that applicants will be employed and personnel actions will be taken during employment commensurate with this policy. In furtherance of this policy, the College shall:
- Apply all policies, procedures and standards of the College as evenly as practicable;
- Insure that resources are available to all without discrimination as prohibited in this policy;
- Recruit and employ faculty and staff at all levels and in all departments of the College without discrimination as prohibited in this policy in order to maintain standards of employment consistent with normative job requirements;
- Provide remuneration on the basis of equal pay for tasks involving equal skills, effort, responsibilities and performance under equal working conditions; and
- Extend to employees opportunities to equip themselves for advancement within the College without discrimination as prohibited in this policy to insure that such advancement is based solely on individual performance and task requirements.
In addition to a commitment to equal employment opportunity, the College shall act affirmatively in actions in support of this policy. The affirmative action shall, at a minimum, support the goal of attaining a relationship of minorities and women in employment equal to their proportionate representation within the institution’s service area for faculty, administrative, professional and non-exempt positions.
The President of the College shall oversee and monitor the development and implementation of an Affirmative Action Plan, and will report annually to the Board of Trustees as to actions taken during the previous year toward the success of the goals of the Plan.