Financial Aid at MCC

Veterans and military education & financial aid benefits at Mayland Community College


Programs of Study:

What Degree or Program can I pursue at MCC?

What Program can I pursue at MCC? MCC currently offers 29 Programs of Study, including 15 degree, 14 diploma and 34 certificate opportunities.

Click here to explore the list!


More About MCC:

Facts & Figures

Policies, Statistics, and much helpful information can be located on our About Us page.


Current News:

What's Going On?

Announcements, News and the latest Happenings!

LEO student portal
MCC on Facebook and Twitter

Veterans Administration Education Benefits

Most curriculum programs offered by Mayland Community College are approved for Veterans Administration educational assistance benefits.  Veterans, dependents of veterans and war orphans may be eligible for VA benefits. 

Veterans receiving VA benefits will be monitored under the Academic Progress System found on page 45 of the Mayland Catalog.

For further information in establishing eligibility for educational benefits, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Benefits Programs

Mayland Community College is approved for training of veterans, national guard/reservists, and dependents of deceased or disabled veterans under the following programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs:

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

  • This is a new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance (Chapter 30)

  • This bill is for those enlisted or entered into active duty FOR THE FIRST TIME on or after July 1, 1985, with active duty service of at least two years and an Honorable Discharge.

Montgomery GI Bill - Selective Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)

  • This bill is for those with an enlistment in the Selected Reserve for a period of not less than six years on or after July 1, 1985 with Honorable Discharge.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

  • This is for those who have been a member of a reserve component who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation (in response to war or national emergency) and who served at least 90 consecutive days or more.

    Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32)

    • This program is for those who entered active duty after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985, with Honorable Discharge, and made financial contributions to the program.

    Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)

    • This program is for the children or spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
    • Children of disabled or deceased veterans who are North Carolina residents may also be eligible for a scholarship which pays tuition, some fees, room, and meals from the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs, Raleigh, North Carolina. Scholarship applications and additional information can be obtained from the Avery, Mitchell or Yancey County VA Offices.

    Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities (Chapter 31)

      • Entitlement for Chapter 31 benefits is determined by a VA counselor on an individual basis.  If a veteran is interested in Chapter 31 services s/he should contact Voc-Rehab directly at 1-800-827-1000 ext 7900 or visit the local Avery, Mitchell, Yancey County Voc-Rehab Offices.

      North Carolina National Guard

      • Members of the North Carolina National Guard may be eligible for tuition assistance.  National Guard members should contact their unit to obtain an application.

      Scholarship Opportunities for Veterans

      Scholarships are available through the North Carolina Department of Administration for Veteran Affairs for children of certain deceased, disabled, or POW/MIA beterans provided under Chapter 165, Article 4.  For more information or to apply for these scholarships, contact your County Veterans Service Officer.

        first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image
        themed object