The State Employee’s Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has established a two- year scholarship program to assist North Carolina community college students in achieving academic success. The members of SECU take an active role in assisting organizations and communities across North Carolina and truly believe in “People Helping People!” The SECU Scholarship is a $5,000 award distributed semi-annually in two payments: $1,250 per student for Fall Semester and $1,250 per student for Spring Semester for a maximum of four consecutive Fall/Spring semesters. Membership in the SECU is NOT required. The Scholarship Committee of Mayland Community College will nominate two individuals for this award that are most deserving of an opportunity to further their educations. The committee will consider students who best exemplify the membership philosophy of the SECU, “People Helping People,” and have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. The recipient will be selected without regard to race, sex, color, creed, religious preference, age, national origin or disability.
Qualified candidates must:
- Be enrolled full time each semester in an associate degree, diploma or certificate program.
- Be a U.S. citizen and resident of North Carolina – eligible for in-state tuition.
- Best exemplify the membership philosophy of the Credit Union - "People Helping People" - and have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Demonstrate ongoing scholastic achievement by having and maintaining a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Use scholarship to pay tuition, books, fees, course supplies and transportation.
- Continue at Mayland for the duration of the scholarship (four consecutive fall/spring semesters) or until completion of diploma or certificate program. Scholarships are not transferable to another student or another school.
- Not be a Director, employee, or family member of an employee of the State Employee’s Credit Union or SECU Foundation
To apply, please submit a one to two-page essay to the Scholarship Coordinator explaining why you feel you best exemplify the membership philosophy of the Credit Union – “People Helping People.” Explain how you have demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement. Your paper must be typed and double-spaced, using Times New Roman 12 font.
Your essay must be accompanied by:
- Two letters of recommendation from leaders of organizations for which you have volunteered or from members of the community who can attest to your character, integrity, and community involvement.
- A copy of your most recent transcript.
Submit your essay along with all required documentation by June 22, 2017 to Jessica Forbes in Room 124 of the Financial Aid Department.
Requirements for the Scholarship include: Resident of Avery County or surrounding county, Completed application, Two letters of recommendation: One from a teacher or counselor; one from a current or past employer; or one from a volunteer supervisor, if the applicant does not have employment history, Transcript of grades from last school attended, Grade point average of 2.5 or above, and A copy of an official acceptance letter from the applicant's school of choice and date of anticipated entry. The committee also requires a copy of the letter acceptance into the program of study related to a medical field listed in the scholarship application. The scholarship committee considers each applicant based on the following: Acceptance into a health care/medical related program, Applicant need, Grade point average, completed application, and Review of personl/professional reccomendations. Any questions can be directed to Jessica Forbes at 828-766-1241 or email@example.com.
Applications are to be turned into Cannon Memorial Hospital, ATTN Sallie Woodring, P.O. Box 767 Linville, NC 28646 by July 10, 2017.
The NC Golden Leaf Scholarship seeks to provide support for North Carolinians seeking to imporve the economic situation of their families through enrollement in higher education. The scholarship will assit students who reside in rural counties designated as tobacco dependent and/or economically distressed communities by providing financial assistance to aid their educational and training endeavors.
Completed applications are to be turned into Jessica Forbes by Thursday, June 15, 2017 in the Financial Aid Office Room 124.