MCC Vacancy Announcement:
Correctional Education Coordinator
Posted Monday, February 14, 2011
Application Deadline is February 18, 2011
Get An Application
You can download an employment application for MCC here.
Mayland Community College has the following annual part-time position available:
Mayland Community College is a small, comprehensive, community college located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. The college serves over 8,000 general education, vocational, and technical students each year through curriculum and continuing education classes. The college is one of the 58 institutions in the North Carolina Community College System and serves an area of approximately 50,000 persons. Total annual Institutional FTE is 2,000.
Overall duties of the Correctional Education Coordinator will include, but are not limited to, assisting faculty to ensure that quality educational services are provided, assisting in the development of staff development workshops, conducting orientation programs in the two correctional facilities, serving as an educational supervisor and support resource for correctional faculty, developing and implementing ongoing systems for program monitoring and improvement, and providing instruction of inmates/students at the prison facilities. This person will conduct intake and orientation for all new students in the program and assist inmates/students in learning specified subject matter and basic skills that will contribute to their development as mature, responsible citizens in a complex, dynamic, and diverse society. These students vary in age, achievement level, cultural background, and life experience. This person will be under the direct supervision of the Dean, Adult Education and is accountable for quality instruction as well as effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the College.
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications. Show these and related qualifications on application:
- Bachelor degree in education, psychology, or related field
- Experience teaching basic education in a correctional facility
- Knowledge of testing procedures
- Ability to complete detailed paper work
- Computer literate
- Ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, including Department of Corrections Personnel
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with members of the Board of Trustees, College staff, students, and with the general public
- Considerable discretion in the handling of confidential information and sensitive materials
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to learning the philosophy of this Learning College
- Graduate work in education, psychology, or related field
- Knowledge of the Literacy Education Information System (LEIS)
- CASAS Certification
Recruitment, Selection, and Salary Range
The process for the recruitment and selection of the successful candidate will be based on the College’s Affirmative Action Policy adopted by the Board of Trustees. The salary range is based on the institutional salary plan.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 18, 2011
Screening of applicants for the position will begin on the deadline date with the position remaining open until a suitable candidate is selected. Applicants applying after the deadline cannot be guaranteed consideration.
To help make your application file complete, please submit the following:
- A completed MCC application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the MCC application.
- Official transcripts from accredited institutions (all post-secondary institutions).
- Professional Statement: Please submit on one typewritten page listing your views concerning education in a community college system.
Persons employed with Mayland Community College must successfully complete a probationary period for continued employment.
Submit Application Materials To:
Vershell Libow, Personnel Recruiter
Mayland Community College
PO Box 547
Spruce Pine, North Carolina 28777
Phone: (800) 462-9526 or (828) 765-7351
Fax: (828) 765-0728
MCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
All minorities are encouraged to apply.