MCC Avery Learning Center
located just north of Newland on Hwy. 194
|Avery Learning Center Office Hours|
|Monday -Thursday 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM|
|Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday 1:00 - 4:00 PM|
|Monday - Thursday 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Monday - Thursday 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM|
|Monday and Tuesday 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
Register and Pay for Continuing Education classes on-line
If you haven’t been to the Avery Learning Center of Mayland Community College lately you are missing out. The Spring semester was filled with interesting classes and fire/rescue training. Here are just a few of our highlights:
- Through a partnership with Avery County Schools, parents and guardians of children in the Avery County School System were provided the opportunity to train toward a Microsoft Office Specialist certification.
- The Small Engine Repair class, taught by CL Lewis with 11 students, learned to repair lawn mowers, weed eaters, and just about anything else with a motor.
- A brand new class started called Beginning Level Baking and Pastry on April 9th and let me tell you the crepes were great!
- Wonderful sounds drifted down the hallway as Ms. Rhody Jane Meadows shared her talents on the Appalachian Autoharp.
- A major topic of conversation this semester has been fire/rescue and emergency management related classes. Fireman from across the community have logged over 3600 hours of training! To all of the Fire/Rescue and EMS personnel out there, I commend you on your dedication and committed service to Avery County.
If you didn’t get to participate this Spring, don’t worry. The Summer schedule has its own excitement to offer. There will be a wealth of computer courses throughout the day. Medical classes are being offered to include Certified Nursing Assistant I, Certified Nursing Assistant II, Medication Aide, CPR/First Aide, and Medication Safety. New to the campus are classes in Renewable Energy, Introduction to Wine, Weatherization, Build Your Own Greenhouse, Qigong, Aromatherapy and much, much more. Be sure to review your Summer Tabloid, because something will catch your interest.