Public Safety & Occupational Tech
Basic Law Enforcement Training
Programs of Study:
What Degree or Program can I pursue at MCC?
What Program can I pursue at MCC? MCC currently offers 29 Programs of Study, including 15 degree, 14 diploma and 34 certificate opportunities.
Click here to explore the list!
Basic Law Enforcement Training (C55120)
The next BLET class will begin August 2014!
Interested Persons call 766-1337
Basic Law Enforcement Training is required of anyone serving as a law enforcement officer in North Carolina.
This course is designed to equip with the basic skills, knowledge and ability to function as an inexperienced law enforcement officer in the State of North Carolina. This class is a pre-requisite for law enforcement officer certification in this State. The total numbers of course hours required for this certification are set by the NC Criminal Justice Commission.
Mayland COmmunity College currently offers a night BLET course. The class meets from 6pm until 10 or 11 pm for approximately nine months. Classes will meet some weekends to accommodate the appropriate day and night required classes.
To enroll in the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program, a completed application packet must be submitted to the School Director. The packet includes the following:
- Mayland Community College Basic Law Enforcement Training Application
- A letter of Sponsorship from a North Carolina law enforcement agency
PLEASE NOTE:The sponsorship may be revoked by the Sponsoring Agency at any time at the Agency's discretion. If a sponsorship is revoked, the Cadet will be dismissed from the program.
- Completed F-3 Personal History Statement
- Completed physical examination with drug screen - all medical forms are provided in the APplication packet. These forms must be completed in full and signed by physician and applicant.
- Notarized criminal history check from every location the applicant has lived since sixteen (16) years of age.
- Certified copy of North Carolina driving history - obtained from the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Copies of the following documents:
Valid NC driver's license
Social Security Card
High school diploma/GED®
College and/or University transcripts and diplomas
Military discharge papers (if applicable)
- All applicants must take a reading exam administered thru the Adult Education Department. You mus score at least a tenth (10th) grade level.
Cadets admitted to the Program will purchase:
- Training Academy Uniforms:
- BLET shirts - available in College bookstore
- Black BDU-type pants
- Black boots
- Physical training attire - including good athletic shoes (PT attire, with the exception of shoes, available in college bookstore.
Required Books and Equipment:
- Cadets registered to the Program will pay a $100.00 student fee and purchase student insurance at a cost of $1.30.
- Application packets which include the program application, medical forms and checklist of items to be returned can be obtained from the following:
- Mark McWilliams 828-766-1338
- Pam Wiseman 828-766-1337
- Steve Clawson 828-766-1339
Interested in Attending Mayland?
Learn more about our admissions process and get answers to many of your questions here.