Practical Nursing (D45660)
The Practical Nursing Program is no longer accepting new students. The PN Program may be restarted in the future pending changing market factors. Please contact the school for additional information.
- Program of Study
- Curriculum Description
- Nursing Scholarship
- Educational & Program Outcomes
- Gainful Employment Information
The program's admission process is competitive-based, and you can learn more about it here.
The Practical Nursing curriculum prepares individuals with the knowledge and skills to provide nursing care to children and adults. Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care.
Graduates of this program meet the requirements to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) which is required for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation/long term care/home health facilities, clinics, and physicians’ offices.
* Upon successfully completing NUR 102, students who are currently listed as NAIs meet the requirements to be listed as a Nurse Aide II through the North Carolina Board of Nursing, if they so desire. These forms must be completed by the end of the second semester of the program.
You can find out more about the Practical Nursing Program from the following link:
- Diploma Programs
Upon licensure, graduates of the Practical Nursing Program at Mayland Community College will be able to:
- Utilize human needs and evidence-based practice as a framework for gathering data and implementing patient-centered nursing care throughout the lifespan.
- Participate in the nursing process to contribute data/promote/maintain/ restore optimum health for diverse clients throughout the lifespan.
- Communicate effectively with individuals, groups, significant others, and interdisciplinary healthcare providers through the use of written expression, verbal and nonverbal expression, and informatics.
- Practice nursing according to legal, ethical, and professional standards.
- Educates beginning practitioners to deliver patient-centered nursing care to any/all persons with common to complex health alterations in a variety of structured healthcare settings.
- Graduates students who pass the NCLEX at or above the national pass rate for first-time writers.
- Graduates students of whom 80% become employed in nursing within 6 months.
- Graduates students of whom 80% indicate that they are satisfied overall with the quality of the nursing education they received.
- Graduates students of whom 95% of employers indicate that they would hire another graduate in the future if the need arises.
- Maintains full approval of the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
- Meets standards of Mayland Community College, the North Carolina Community College System, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Interested in Attending Mayland?
Learn more about our admissions process for health programs and get answers to many of your questions here.